We feel exactly the same way.
We’re currently on the lookout for a Supplier Quality Manager, who can enable the industrialization of innovative products in an extremely aggressive timeline. In this highly visible role, you’ll recruit, manage and mentor a team of Supplier Quality Engineers responsible for assuring the highest quality standards for our products. The Supplier Quality Manager is the key internal interface with Engineering, Manufacturing and our suppliers to develop ways to manufacture challenging designs while at the same time not sacrificing requirements for quality.
You must be able to guide up front design development as well as roll up your sleeves with suppliers to create new manufacturing methods and control strategies when necessary to achieve ambitious specifications and ensure a flawless execution during launch.
The right candidate has strong experience managing global suppliers, and is able to direct supplier activities at the management level with the capacity to contribute consistently and positively in a high-paced, fast-changing and sometimes unpredictable environment.
In this role, you will:
- Build and lead a world-class team of Supplier Quality Engineers. Establish and manage priorities and project assignments for all team members
- Create and implement the Nikola Supplier Quality Manual along with Nikola Quality and Purchasing teams
- Manage total ownership of supplier quality through the entire life cycle, from initial sourcing through development, tooling and industrialization phases as well as product launch and ongoing business management
- Guide Engineering development to ensure manufacturing needs are considered in the design phase and that proper quality expectations are defined
- Support purchasing in the supplier selection by conducting onsite supplier visits and participating in the supplier technical reviews
- Perform supplier audits and site inspections. Develop process improvement plans and drive implementation. Monitor and maintain performance metrics
- Develop, manage and improve the APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning) process with suppliers from initial design stage through PPAP submission and start of mass production
- Develop quality plans, design test methods and gages, identify potential failure modes and process weaknesses and drive corrective actions
- Investigate supplier quality issues to determine root cause, conduct incoming parts inspections as needed and identify and implement corrective actions
- Travel 25% on average, occasionally on short notice
For Consideration, you’ll need:
- BS in Engineering, MS preferred. MBA a plus
- 7+ years of experience in an Automotive, Electronics or high-volume manufacturing business and at least 3 years of experience as a team leader
- Team development and demonstrated leadership in quality or manufacturing organizations
- Strong written and verbal skills as well as organizational and program management capabilities
- Ability to read and interpret schematics and drawings and an in-depth knowledge of quality standards and specifications in area of placement
- Excellent analytical abilities, technical writing ability and comprehensive understanding of quality toolbox (SPC, 8D root cause analysis, tolerancing, control and inspection standards, etc.)
- Certification preferred – American Society for Quality, Black Belt, Six Sigma, etc.
- Open-minded self-starter with the ability to adapt, improvise and problem solve, as well manage multiple tasks and projects and concisely explain complex issues supported with data
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills